Thursday, September 26, 2013

My whole life I have been a gardener. When my business went under and we lost our home, we found ourselves living in a trailer park. Not much room for a garden! Not to be left out of my hobby, I talked to the owner of the field across the street and he allowed me to garden on the ditch bank. With limited space I had to be creative so I built these bad boys out of old pallets. There is a piece of weed barrier material holding the soil and I installed a drip system for irrigation.
 Just to be a little bit creative, we put a cheap Walmart .99 cent solar light on the top of each pallet and at night it looks like an airport runway.
 To best utilize the space a put a tire on top of weed barrier and planted a tomato plant between each pallet inside the tire. Just twelve plants and we grew enough tomatoes last year to can over 100 quarts of salsa and still give many tomatoes to the neighbors down the street that live in apartment buildings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment